Anticipation begins with this year’s Advent expectation ~
The first Advent wreath has been attributed to Martin Luther from Eastern Germany. It has become a traditional way for people in many different countries to mark the coming of Christ and the beginning of the new Church year. Although any colour of candle may be used, purple candles with one pink being the traditional surrounding the centre white Christ candle.
1st week ~ Candle of Prophecy, Candle of Hope
2nd ~ Candle of Bethlehem, Preparation, Peace
3rd ~ Pink Candle of Joy, Shepherd’s Candle
4th ~ Candle of Love, Angel’s Candle
5th ~ Christ Candle centred within the wreath and lit on Christmas Eve
- The wreath is round, as a symbol of God’s eternity and mercy;made of evergreens to symbolize that God is everlasting
and promises us immortality in Christ.
- The Greens represent hope and new life.
- Continuing the candlelighting through the full Christmas seasons, they are replaced with white candles which are used until Epiphany.
Symbolic Meaning of the Greens:
· The Advent Wreath is made of various evergreens ever-life,
The circle of the wreath is without beginning and has no end;
eternal life through our Saviour, Jesus Christ.
Cedar represents healing and strength.
· Holly reminds us of the Crown of Thorns
placed on the head of Jesus at His crucifixion.
Red Holly berries represent sacrifice, sacrificial love;
the blood of Christ which was shed for us on the cross.
· Pinecones and nuts symbolize life and resurrection through Jesus Christ.· Laurel represents victory over persecution, suffering, and death.-source
and so we add our voices to Enya‘s as we sing our heart’s invitation ~
and the HOPE filled call,
O Come Divine Messiah by the pride of Cape Breton, the Barra MacNeils
May your Advent journey of longing this week be
filled with Hope!
Recommending Teresa Blythe’s series‘Praying Through Advent’available Here*#SongsonSundays
Shared with –* Seasonal Pink Saturday ** 3D Lessons for Life ** Little Things Thursday ** Throwback Thursday ** Faith Filled Friday ** Sincerely Paula *
*FIND MORE FHC on PINTEREST | TWITTER | GOOGLE+ | GOODREADS | FACEBOOK | NETWORKED BLOGS